Updated Travel Guidance and Campus Resources, March 12, 2020

An update on travel guidance and campus resources to UW-Green Bay’s faculty, staff and students—March 12, 2020

Memorandum

To: University Community
From: Sheryl Van Gruensven, Interim Chancellor
Date: March 12, 2020
Subject: Updated Travel Guidance and Campus Resources

Today the Wisconsin Department of Health Services (DHS) provided new guidance regarding travel. Please read this carefully and be aware of both the guidelines and the after-travel requirements you may face as Wisconsin and UW-Green Bay do our part to contain COVID-19.

International Travel

Consistent with the information provided in the March 11, 2020 Chancellor’s communication; employees and students are encouraged to avoid all unnecessary out of state travel as it may expose you to COVID-19. If you travel to a foreign country which has been labeled by the CDC as Level 3, either at the time of travel or such rating is applied while you are in the country, you will be required to self-report to the Board of Health of your home county and not be allowed to return to campus until 14 days after your return to the United States.

Domestic Travel

On March 12, 2020, the Wisconsin Department of Health Services provided the following guidance regarding travel within the U.S.:

Though there are areas within the United States where there is “sustained community transmission” of COVID-19, the CDC has not issued recommendations related to travel within the United States. In the absence of such guidance, and with the goal of delaying the onset of sustained community transmission of COVID-19 in Wisconsin, DHS recommends the following domestic travel-related measures:

DHS recommends against all non-essential travel to any U.S. state where the CDC deems there is “sustained community transmission” of COVID-19. As of March 11, 2020, the CDC has determined sustained community transmission is occurring in the states of California, New York, and Washington. This situation is rapidly evolving, and travelers should refer to the list of “States Reporting Cases of COVID-19 to CDC” for the most current list of states where CDC determines that sustained community transmission is occurring. (Click the + sign under the map to see a table that reports CDC’s assessment of community transmission in the far right column.)

For all travelers returning to Wisconsin from U.S. states where the CDC has determined that sustained community transmission is occurring, DHS recommends that those individuals self-quarantine at home for 14 days and monitor for symptoms of COVID-19 (including fever and cough). The DHS COVID-19 webpage provides instructions on how to self-quarantine and self-monitor for symptoms.

UW-Green Bay fully supports and recommends student, faculty and staff adherence to this guidance. Employees who are required to self-isolate will either need to apply for short term telecommuting or apply for missed time under your leave benefits. More information on both will follow soon.

Any individual, employee or student who has any flu-like symptoms should remain away from campus until they are cleared by medical professionals to return. All employees and students are directed to their primary medical provider to seek testing and treatment for any illness. If you do not have such services available, the Student Health Center will remain available, but again, all students are encouraged to stay away from campus until further notice.

Classes

As was stated yesterday, UW-Green Bay will offer all classes in alternative delivery methods beginning on March 23. Instructors will communicate to each class on how this will occur. Great resources for faculty, staff, and students on this process can be found at https://www.uwgb.edu/coronavirus/ Thank you for your diligence and patience while we all work together to meet this challenge and ensure that learning happens while we are off campus. Tenacity, resilience, innovation, and creativity are all hallmarks of UW-Green Bay and we will use these skills to move forward in this challenging situation.

Be Prepared; Take Care of Yourself

We know this is a very stressful time for our employees and their families. Thank you for all you are doing to prepare for the worst (as we hope for the best) on our campus and in our communities. Please do all that you can to appropriately prepare on the home front as well. You can find some helpful resources at https://www.ready.gov/pandemic

We also want to remind you of the emotional support, health and other resources at UW-Green Bay that are available as we navigate this global emergency, together:

Students:
https://www.uwgb.edu/counseling-health/

Faculty and Staff:
https://www.uwgb.edu/human-resources/benefits/employee-assistance-program/

Please take care. We are here to support you.

IT support for UW-Green Bay students during alternate delivery of classes

Following the decision by the University, that starting March 23, 2020, classes will be delivered by an alternative method and that students are being strongly encouraged to remain home after spring break until further notice, the Division of Information Technology has put together the following information to help you prepare before you leave campus.

UW-Green Bay students have access to the following:

Office 365 – 0365 is a cloud suite of applications that include: Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Teams, SharePoint, OneDrive, OneNote, and many other work productivity applications.  Documentation on how to connect and use O365 can be found here.

Office 2019 – As a student, you can download and install Microsoft Office 2019 on your personal device. The following are instructions on how to do download and install:

Remote Lab – The following software is available through Remote Lab, which is available here.

  • Acrobat DC
  • AQTESOLV Pro 4.5
  • CMake
  • Google Chrome
  • Google Earth
  • Handbrake
  • Microsoft Visual Studio 2015
  • Mozilla Firefox
  • MySQL Workbench 8.0
  • Notepad++
  • OpenSSH
  • PuTTY
  • QuickTime
  • R
  • RStudio
  • SAS
  • Stella
  • TopoDrive & ParticleFlow
  • VLC

Instructions on how to connect to Remote Lab is available here.

PLEASE NOTE: We have a limited number of concurrent connections for Remote Lab, so we strongly recommend that you only use Remote Lab for this software only, and that all Microsoft Office applications be accessed either via O365 online or through the MS Office download.

SPSS – for those students in courses that require the use of SPSS software, we recommend that you download the software and install it using the following the instructions:

Please know that SPSS will not work on a Chromebook or on a MAC running the Catalina OS.

OneDrive – Most of you should already be saving your files to your OneDrive, so that you should have access to those files from anywhere you have an internet connection. If you have been saving to your M drive you will need to move the files to OneDrive. If this is the case, we recommend that you contact the Help Desk (920-465-2309) for assistance in moving these files.  “Getting Started with OneDrive” is available here.

In addition to the above, please be aware that the GAC Labs, Library computer lab and specialty labs will continue to be available if you do come to campus. The open hours of the labs may have to change based on staffing, so please check the website for current hours prior.

The Help Desk will also be available to you for support during this time. The Help Desk can be reached via phone at 920-465-2309 or via email at helpdesk@uwgb.edu. We anticipate a higher than normal call volume, so please leave a message with your name and the best phone number, and a staff member will contact you back as soon as possible. In addition, you can also search UKnowIT for self-service articles.

Finally, the IT Division is committed to supporting your needs during this time, and we thank you in advance for your patience as we provide support to the entire University community.

UW-Green Bay students advised to stay home after spring break | WLUK

The University of Wisconsin-Green Bay is encouraging students who leave campus for spring break not to return until further notice as a precaution against the new coronavirus. The university held a news conference Wednesday afternoon on the changes. UW-Green Bay staff talk about the precautions and changes it is taking in response to the coronavirus, March 11, 2020. For at least the week of March 23-28, UWGB classes at all campuses will be taught by what the university calls “alternative delivery methods.” Students should receive additional details from their instructors in the coming days. Students are advised to take instructional materials, computers, medications and other valuables home with them over spring break. “We have an IT department that is working very quickly to understand what it takes to teach in different modalities,” said Michael Alexander, UW-Green Bay’s Provost. “I think we’re as prepared as we can be given the circumstances that are in front of us.” Source: UWGB Students advised to stay home after spring break | WLUK

UW-Green Bay to teach classes via ‘alternative delivery methods’ amid coronavirus concerns | #wearegreenbay.com#

UW-Green Bay has decided to teach classes at all campuses “via alternative delivery methods,” according to a letter sent to the university community. This will go into effect on Monday, March 23. Students leaving campus for spring break are also being asked to remain home until further notice and should bring home all course material over spring break. Source: UW-Green Bay to teach classes ‘via alternative delivery methods’ amid coronavirus concerns | #wearegreenbay.com#

Coronavirus: UW-Green Bay to begin teaching online courses amid pandemic concerns | greenbaypressgazette.com

“The University of Wisconsin-Green Bay will begin teaching classes online after its spring break as concerns mount over the new coronavirus spreading across the country. The announcement comes a day after a third person in Wisconsin tested positive for COVID-19 and as universities across the state scramble to prepare for the spring break travel season.  In a message to faculty, staff and students Wednesday, UW-Green Bay Interim Chancellor Sheryl Van Gruensven said all campuses will teach classes through “alternative delivery methods” beginning the week of March 23. The university will update students on the status of classes every Wednesday in the following weeks. UW-Green Bay has campuses in Green Bay, Manitowoc, Sheboygan and Marinette. Van Gruensven encouraged students who leave campus for spring break to go home and remain there until further notice. They should take course materials, medication and any valuables with them.  Campuses will remain open, and the university will accommodate students who can’t leave for spring break.” Source: Coronavirus: UWGB to being teaching online courses amid pandemic concerns | greenbaypressgazette.com

Schedule changes in Wisconsin schools and sports amid coronavirus outbreak | nbc15.com

UW-Green Bay announced Wednesday that it will not be holding in-person classes between March 23 and March 28, saying that classes will be “taught via alternative delivery methods” during this time. UW-Green Bay students who are leaving for spring break are also “strongly encouraged” to go home and stay home until further notice, according to the university. Source: Schedule changes in Wisconsin schools and sports amid coronavirus outbreak | nbc15.com

UW-Green Bay, UW-Madison halt in-person classes in response to coronavirus | WBAY

The University of Wisconsin-Green Bay is taking precautions regarding the coronavirus pandemic and will not hold in-person classes between March 23 and March 28. The World Health Organization on Wednesday declared coronavirus a pandemic. UWGB says classes will be “taught via alternative delivery methods” during this time. Details were be sent to staff and students in the coming days. VISIT wbay.com/coronavirus for complete coverage of the pandemic. UWGB says students who are leaving for spring break are “strongly encouraged” to go home and stay home until further notice. “We are evaluating the situation daily and will communicate a return-to-campus date as soon as possible,” reads the memorandum.

Source: UW-Green Bay, UW-Madison halt in-person classes in response to coronavirus, WBAY