Updated Travel Guidance and Campus Resources, March 12, 2020

An update on travel guidance and campus resources to UW-Green Bay’s faculty, staff and students—March 12, 2020

Memorandum

To: University Community
From: Sheryl Van Gruensven, Interim Chancellor
Date: March 12, 2020
Subject: Updated Travel Guidance and Campus Resources

Today the Wisconsin Department of Health Services (DHS) provided new guidance regarding travel. Please read this carefully and be aware of both the guidelines and the after-travel requirements you may face as Wisconsin and UW-Green Bay do our part to contain COVID-19.

International Travel

Consistent with the information provided in the March 11, 2020 Chancellor’s communication; employees and students are encouraged to avoid all unnecessary out of state travel as it may expose you to COVID-19. If you travel to a foreign country which has been labeled by the CDC as Level 3, either at the time of travel or such rating is applied while you are in the country, you will be required to self-report to the Board of Health of your home county and not be allowed to return to campus until 14 days after your return to the United States.

Domestic Travel

On March 12, 2020, the Wisconsin Department of Health Services provided the following guidance regarding travel within the U.S.:

Though there are areas within the United States where there is “sustained community transmission” of COVID-19, the CDC has not issued recommendations related to travel within the United States. In the absence of such guidance, and with the goal of delaying the onset of sustained community transmission of COVID-19 in Wisconsin, DHS recommends the following domestic travel-related measures:

DHS recommends against all non-essential travel to any U.S. state where the CDC deems there is “sustained community transmission” of COVID-19. As of March 11, 2020, the CDC has determined sustained community transmission is occurring in the states of California, New York, and Washington. This situation is rapidly evolving, and travelers should refer to the list of “States Reporting Cases of COVID-19 to CDC” for the most current list of states where CDC determines that sustained community transmission is occurring. (Click the + sign under the map to see a table that reports CDC’s assessment of community transmission in the far right column.)

For all travelers returning to Wisconsin from U.S. states where the CDC has determined that sustained community transmission is occurring, DHS recommends that those individuals self-quarantine at home for 14 days and monitor for symptoms of COVID-19 (including fever and cough). The DHS COVID-19 webpage provides instructions on how to self-quarantine and self-monitor for symptoms.

UW-Green Bay fully supports and recommends student, faculty and staff adherence to this guidance. Employees who are required to self-isolate will either need to apply for short term telecommuting or apply for missed time under your leave benefits. More information on both will follow soon.

Any individual, employee or student who has any flu-like symptoms should remain away from campus until they are cleared by medical professionals to return. All employees and students are directed to their primary medical provider to seek testing and treatment for any illness. If you do not have such services available, the Student Health Center will remain available, but again, all students are encouraged to stay away from campus until further notice.

Classes

As was stated yesterday, UW-Green Bay will offer all classes in alternative delivery methods beginning on March 23. Instructors will communicate to each class on how this will occur. Great resources for faculty, staff, and students on this process can be found at https://www.uwgb.edu/coronavirus/ Thank you for your diligence and patience while we all work together to meet this challenge and ensure that learning happens while we are off campus. Tenacity, resilience, innovation, and creativity are all hallmarks of UW-Green Bay and we will use these skills to move forward in this challenging situation.

Be Prepared; Take Care of Yourself

We know this is a very stressful time for our employees and their families. Thank you for all you are doing to prepare for the worst (as we hope for the best) on our campus and in our communities. Please do all that you can to appropriately prepare on the home front as well. You can find some helpful resources at https://www.ready.gov/pandemic

We also want to remind you of the emotional support, health and other resources at UW-Green Bay that are available as we navigate this global emergency, together:

Students:
https://www.uwgb.edu/counseling-health/

Faculty and Staff:
https://www.uwgb.edu/human-resources/benefits/employee-assistance-program/

Please take care. We are here to support you.

You may also like...