UW-Green Bay students to provide free income tax assistance through April 10, 2020
Green Bay, Wis.—University of Wisconsin-Green Bay students are again providing free income tax assistance for low-income individuals and families, the elderly and students through the Internal Revenue Service’s Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program.
Return preparation begins the week of February 4 and will run through Wednesday, April 10, 2020. However, no service will be provided the week of March 18 because of the University’s spring break.
Scheduled times and Green Bay locations for tax assistance are:
- Tuesdays, 5 to 8 p.m., The Salvation Army, 626 Union Court, Green Bay
- Wednesdays, 5 to 8 p.m., Brown County Public Library, 515 Pine St, Green Bay
Appointments are necessary for both sites and can be made by calling (920) 465-2575. The service, including filing Federal and Wisconsin income tax returns electronically, is provided at no cost to taxpayers.
To assist volunteers, taxpayers should bring:
- Photo ID (required)
- Original Social Security cards for each member of the family (required)
- Federal and Wisconsin income tax returns for previous tax filing if available
- Current year information, including W-2 forms showing wages earned and 1099 forms reporting interest, dividends, pensions or Social Security benefits received
- Proof of health insurance coverage (form 1098 – A, B, or C)
- Tuition payment statements (form 1098-T)
- Receipts for property taxes paid
- Rent certificates and/or a copy of their property tax bill if they might be able to claim the Wisconsin Homestead Credit
- Information regarding other receipts such as per capita income distribution and SSI payments
- A record of any estimated tax payments made last year
- A void check from a checking account or deposit slip from a savings account to allow for direct deposit of a refund.
For more information, visit the VITA website at www.uwgb.edu/vita or e-mail Heather Kaminski, firstname.lastname@example.org.