UW-Green Bay Jazz Fest XLI features jazz flutist
The University of Wisconsin-Green Bay’s Jazz Fest XLI, which includes a full day of musical performances and education on campus, is scheduled for Saturday, Jan. 29. The public concert begins at 4 p.m. in the Weidner Center for the Performing Arts, 2420 Nicolet Drive.This year’s event features jazz flutist and composer Lori Bell, a native of Brooklyn, New York, and the UW-Green Bay Jazz and Vocal Jazz Ensembles. Bell, who now lives in San Diego, has earned acclaim from peers and critics for her ability to perform several styles of music at a very high level.
Bell, who teaches classical technique and jazz improvisation at San Diego State University, is currently touring with a concert program called “From Bach to Bebop.”
Ten high school and middle school jazz bands, combos and vocal ensembles will perform for judges earlier in the day at Jazz Fest XLI with a chance to be included as part of the final concert. Performances are judged on jazz style, enthusiasm, program and technical precision. Bell will also give a jazz clinic to the young musicians.
The schools, bands and directors participating this year include:
• Fond du Lac High School – big band, jazz combo; Dale Shipe, director
• De Pere High School – big band, three jazz combos; Casey Schmidt, director
• Wisconsin Lutheran High School – big band; Jordan Beckman, director
• Ashwaubenon High School – big band; Marc Jimos, director
• Hortonville Middle School – big band; Larry Manley, director
• Greenville Middle School – big band; Suzie Patch, director
• Preble High School – Kevin Flogel, director
• Notre Dame Academy – William Hill, director
• Norway High School (Michigan) – big band; Greg Hunt, director
• Gladstone High School (Michigan) –big band; Bill Sjoquist, director
Tickets for the 4 p.m. concert are $12 in advance or $15 at the door. Order online at www.uwgb.edu/tickets/, or call University Ticketing Services at (920) 465-2217 or (800) 328-8587.
For more information visit www.uwgb.edu/music/jazzfest/.