Bailey’s Harbor District #1 Schoolhouse in Door County was built in 1858 on Bluff Road. Since then, the building has been taken down, built on a new location, suffered a fire, and rebuilt again. Much more is included in the history of the schoolhouse, which sparked Kristen Peil and her husband Caleb Whitney’s interest. They bought the schoolhouse, which now serves as an inn, from Peil’s parents in 2016, and began the research for their book about the history of the schoolhouse. With help from UW-Green Bay’s Archives and Area Research Center, the couple managed to get enough valuable information for their book about the early years of the schoolhouse until present time. “When the school closed in 1983, someone had the foresight to take all the records to the UW-Green Bay Archives and Area Research Center. Affiliated with the Wisconsin Historical Society, it’s an amazing resource,” Peil says. Read the full story on Door County Pulse.
- Next story Helpap discusses Frostman win on WPR
- Previous story Green Bay golfer faces Tony Romo at WSGA match play
- achievements alumni Art Athletics Business Administration CAHSS Chancellor CHESW Cofrin School of Business commencement community Continuing Education and Community Engagement Coronavirus CSET Democracy and Justice Studies faculty faculty/staff faculty and staff Human Biology Human Development Humanistic Studies Log E-news Manitowoc Campus Marinette Campus men's basketball Music Natural and Applied Sciences Nursing Photos Political Science professional studies Psychology Public and Environmental Affairs publication SBDC Sheboygan Campus Student Life students Theatre and Dance University Union UW-Green Bay Libraries UW System Video Weidner Center women's basketball
9 Jan, 2020