Basketball update: coaches of interest
How are coaches who previously coached or played at UW-Green Bay doing thus far this season?
• The Toledo Rockets men are 3-9 yet on a hot streak under former Green Bay head coach Tod Kowalczyk. Coming off a 4-28 season, Toledo lost its first nine before winning three straight.
• The mentee bested the mentor when former Phoenix assistant Autumn Rademacher’s Detroit team whipped the Michigan Wolverines 67-48 last Saturday in Ann Arbor. The Titans are 5-5. Michigan, coached by former Phoenix head coach Kevin Borseth, slipped to 6-5.
• The Virginia Cavaliers of the ACC are 8-3 and winners of five straight under UW-Green Bay alumnus Tony Bennett ’92, a former NCAA coach of the year at Washington State.
• Gary Grzesk ’96, is 7-1 with the St. Norbert College men’s basketball team.
• Kathi Bennett, a former Big Ten head coach at Indiana and assistant at Wisconsin, returned to the head coaching ranks this year with Northern Illinois. The Huskies are 5-6 thus far after finishing 10-19 last season. Bennett played for the Phoenix and graduated in 1986.