Director commends handling of Small Hall evacuation

A power outage at the R.E. Small Hall residence building — the result of a vehicle hitting a power pole on nearby Nicolet Drive at about 7 p.m. Thursday night (Nov. 13) —caused a pump to overheat in the mechanical room and set off the fire alarms. Students were evacuated to the Community Center for about an hour while the smoke was cleared. There were no injuries. University electricians are working to prevent similar occurrences from happening again. Residence Life Director Glenn Gray praised quick response by Residence Life staff (Erin Van Daalwyk, Gary Belongia, Steve Gering), Public Safety (Craig Compton, Sabrina Duchateau, Jeff Gross), and the many RAs who assisted, for smooth handling of the incident.