Get your green on — it’s basketball season! This Friday (Nov. 6) you can get 20% off Adidas apparel at the Phoenix Bookstore. Your Aviand’s Phoenix Friday discount continues with 10% off at Rosewood Café for wearing your favorite Phoenix apparel. Playing at Cheapseats this week is the exciting new thriller “The Gift.” Show times are at 6:30 and 9:05 p.m. The Common Grounds Coffeehouse welcomes Chicago singer-songwriter Xoe Wise Friday at 8 p.m. “Cirque Mechanics: Pedal Punk” is at the Weidner Center at 7:30 p.m. Women’s volleyball takes on Valparaiso for Parents Night at 7 p.m. at the Kress and follows with a 4 p.m. match Saturday with UIC. Go Phoenix!
Friday (Oct. 23) is “Swap Your Logo” day at The Phoenix Bookstore. Bring to the store any gently used clothing item and get 20 percent off of one item in the store. There is no limit. Donations will go to the Campus Cupboard project or Goodwill. Other Phoenix Friday promotions:
• 10% off at A’viand’s MAC Hall cart for those wearing Phoenix gear
• The Cheapseats movie at 6:30 and 9:05 p.m. is Amy Schumer’s “Trainwreck”
• More than 325 students, faculty and staff will take part in Make a Difference Day work
• The Mauthe Center hosts “Cardboard Box City” to fight poverty, homelessness
• Music’s Wind Ensemble & Symphonic Band perform at 7:30 p.m.
• The student production Theophilus North continues at the Weidner through Saturday
• Women’s volleyball hosts Cleveland State at 7 p.m. at the Kress
The Green Bay volleyball team continued its recent hot streak over the weekend, with a three-set sweep of in-state rival UW-Milwaukee at the Kress Center. At 14-7 and 5-3 in the Horizon League, Coach Sean Burdette’s team is hoping to make a run at the program’s first NCAA Tournament bid since its only trip in 2003. The Phoenix will be back at the Kress Center for three more matches over the next week, beginning with a date against defending-champion Oakland at 7 p.m. Wednesday.
With temperatures taking a turn, it is a perfect time for a Phoenix Friday special at The Phoenix Bookstore which includes 20% off hats, mittens, scarves and gloves! Aviand’s has changes to its Phoenix Friday specials beginning Oct. 9. Those wearing Phoenix apparel will still receive a 10% discount, but locations are rotating. October 9 at Rosewood Café, October 16 at the Garden Café, October 23 at the MACH Cart, and October 30 at the Marketplace. Playing at CheapSeats this Friday is the new Marvel film, “Ant Man.” Show times are at 6:30 and 9:05 at the Christie Theatre. Nelly’s Echo comes to Commongrounds Coffeehouse on Friday at 8 p.m. The singer-songwriter from Nigeria, Africa blends soul, reggae and blues. On Friday the Green Bay volleyball team hosts Northern Kentucky at 7 p.m. at the Kress. On Saturday, women’s soccer hosts Cleveland State at 1 p.m. and men’s soccer hosts Belmont at 7 p.m. Both matches will be played at Santaga Stadium. Go Green Bay!
Less than 24 hours after defeating a solid UNLV squad, the Green Bay volleyball team followed up at the Varney’s Invitational Weekend in Manhattan, Kan., with a convincing sweep (25-17, 25-21, 25-22) over the Cal Golden Bears. The win was the first in program history over a Pac-12 opponent, and moved head coach Sean Burdette’s team to 4-2. Seniors Emily Riese and Jillian Bauer received all-tournament honors. Read more.
Green Bay Volleyball Camps, led by Green Bay Volleyball coaches Sean Burdette and Jeanette Waldo begin July 6. Camps are designed for a wide variety of ages and skill levels. Fun, skills, agility, position and team camps are offered. The link for pricing, information, and online registration can be found at www.GreenBayVBCamps.com.
Special ‘Lil’ Phoenix Summer Fun Fest Camp
Of special note, boys and girls just being introduced to the sport of volleyball will enjoy the “Lil’ Phoenix Summer Fun Fest,” for youth ages 5-12, July 6-9 from 9 a.m. to noon. More here www.GreenBayVBCamps.com.
As part of the 2015 NCAA Division I Academic Performance Program (APP), both Phoenix cross country programs and the volleyball program were recognized by finishing in the top 10 percent of their respective sports for their high APR scores accumulated during the 2013-14 academic year. It marks the fourth-straight year that the Green Bay women’s cross country program finished in the top 10 percent, the third-straight year the men’s cross country program was recognized and the second-straight year the Phoenix volleyball program finished in the top 10 percent. Multiyear APRs for all Division I sports teams, including the teams receiving public recognition, will be announced May 27. That announcement also will include APP penalties for low-performing teams, teams subject to postseason ineligibility and head coach APRs. For more details.
• Public Safety has notified members of the campus community that UW-Green Bay will participate in the Statewide Tornado Drill at 1:45 p.m. Thursday, April 16. Individuals will be expected to temporarily evacuate to an interior room or hallway, and on the lowest level if it is safe to do so, and stay away from windows, glass, and large open areas. If you have not signed up for GB Alert, the emergency text messaging system that again will be tested during the drill, you can sign up on the Public Safety website. Additionally, Public Safety asks that if you do not hear the mock Tornado Drill Announcement or the announcement was not loud enough, you should contact the division’s emergency management specialist, David Jones, so any issues can be corrected for the future.
• Every Friday is Phoenix Friday! Student employees can receive free popcorn all day Friday (April 17), capping Student Employee Appreciation Week. A’viands will be offering the usual 10 percent off discount to anyone wearing Phoenix gear all day Friday, and the bookstore is offering a 20 percent discount on Gear and Under Armor items. Cheapseats this weekend features “Blackhat.” It is relatively quiet in Phoenix Athletics, however, the Green Bay volleyball team is hosting spring tournament on Saturday and Green Bay men’s tennis hosts Wright State at the Western Racquet and Fitness Club. Click here for the full schedule.
Tessa McGill, assistant coach, shares news of an offer to UW-Green Bay faculty and staff members who might be interested in registering their own young players in some Phoenix Volleyball skills clinics. The “Spring Fling” Clinic Series offers training with Green Bay players and coaches, with youth players grades 5-12 enjoying specialized skill instruction along with game competition. The sessions run from 5 to 8 p.m. on three Wednesdays: Feb. 25, March 25 and April 22. Faculty and staff registering their students can get a $10 discount per session, at $35 per, and another discount by committing to all three in advance. All clinics will be held at the Kress Events Center. For more information, please contact Tessa McGill and she’ll PDF you a flyer and registration form.
Despite having a depleted roster missing two starters and playing against league-leading Oakland (12-9, 4-2 HL), the Green Bay volleyball team returned home in winning fashion on Friday night at the Kress Center, defeating the visiting Golden Grizzlies 3-1 (25-22, 22-25, 25-10, 25-23). Read more.