As we approach Fire Safety Month here is a reminder of things to help keep you safe in the event of a fire emergency:
- When a fire alarm sounds, immediately evacuate the building using the nearest available exit. DO NOT USE ELEVATORS. Close doors and windows as you leave.
- In the event of an emergency evacuation please remember you should use the nearest exits and be aware of any specific meeting locations you should report to (a distance of at least 100 feet from the building).
- Identify two ways out of every room.
- If an exit is blocked during an emergency, use another exit.
- If a fire occurs, feel the door; if the door is hot, don’t open it. Use your alternate exit.
- Mobility impaired or people unable to exit using the stairs should enter an enclosed stairwell, close the door and call 911.
- Report suspicious fires or signs of burning, regardless of the size, to school officials.
- Never leave a burning candle unattended.
- Never leave cooking unattended.
Top Causes of fires:
- Cooking / Cooking equipment
- Heating, such as space heaters
- Electrical (Overloaded power strips)
Be the Hero on the Outside by providing information to police and firefighters about what / who may be inside.