UW-Green Bay commencement, by the numbers: Nearly 450 set to graduate

UWGB graduates, by the numbers

The University of Wisconsin-Green Bay will welcome nearly 450 new alumni at the conclusion of fall semester 2013, many of whom will celebrate by participating in commencement ceremonies at 11:30 a.m. Saturday, Dec. 14 at the Weidner Center for the Performing Arts on campus, 2420 Nicolet Drive.

As of Wednesday, Dec. 11, 449 students have registered to graduate at the conclusion of fall semester 2013, with 98 percent (441 students) completing undergraduate degrees and 2 percent (eight students) completing master’s degrees. The majority (59 percent) of December grads began at UW-Green Bay as transfer students, while the rest (41 percent) started at the University as new freshmen.

Just more than half (53 percent) of undergraduate degree applicants are younger than 25 years old, while 19 percent are between 25 and 29 years old, and 27 percent are age 30 or older. They range in age from 20 to 62, with an average age of 28 years. The average master’s degree candidate is 34 years old. More than two-thirds (68 percent) of the undergraduate degree candidates are women, as are 88 percent of master’s degree candidates.

Ten percent of fall 2013 undergraduate degree applicants (45 individuals) are students of color, and they represent a variety of backgrounds: 21 Asian American, five Native American, 12 Mexican or Hispanic American, three African American and four from multiple racial or ethnic categories. First Nations graduates represent the Cherokee, Chippewa, Creek, Lac du Flambeau, Oneida and Sioux tribes and bands. Graduates have addresses in five foreign countries (China, Israel, South Korea, the United Kingdom and Vietnam), 18 states besides Wisconsin, and 52 of Wisconsin’s 72 counties. Sixty-two percent are from the first generation in their families to complete a bachelor’s degree.

Local high schools are well represented among potential graduates. Nearly one-fifth (19 percent) of the undergraduate degree candidates completed high school in Brown County. Area high schools with 10 or more alumni applying to graduate this winter are Green Bay Preble (15 students), Bay Port (11), Green Bay Southwest (11) and Green Bay West (10).

Fully 9 in 10 of December’s candidates for graduation completed at least one online course at UW-Green Bay, including 27 percent of students who completed more credits online than in traditional classes. Sixteen percent completed all of their UW-Green Bay courses online. Seventy percent of undergraduate degree candidates attended summer sessions, while 13 percent took classes during one or more January Interim sessions. A quarter of degree applicants who started as freshmen completed a Freshman Seminar course, while 26 percent either studied abroad or completed college-level coursework in a foreign language. Fourteen percent completed an internship and 37 percent completed other kinds of individual or field experience courses.

The average GPA among December’s undergraduate degree candidates is 3.21, and 20 percent have GPAs of 3.75 or higher. Ten undergraduate students are set to complete an associate degree and the remaining 431 will complete bachelor’s degrees. Forty-one percent are completing a single major, 49 percent are completing a major and at least one minor, while 10 percent are completing two or more majors. The five majors with the most graduates are Business Administration (74 individuals), Interdisciplinary Studies (66), Nursing (55), Psychology (44) and Human Development (30). Students are applying to receive undergraduate degrees in a total of 32 majors.

More information about mid-year commencement is available at www.uwgb.edu/commencement/.


You may also like...