Malafa, Wochos appointed to Foundation board
Two individuals — an award-winning UW-Green Bay alumnus regarded as one of America’s leading cancer researchers, and a well-known Green Bay business and civic leader — have accepted invitations to serve on the Board of Directors of the University of Wisconsin-Green Bay Foundation, Inc.
Accepting appointment to the board were Dr. Mokenge Malafa, a 1982 UW-Green Bay graduate who currently resides in the Tampa, Florida area and is affiliated with the Moffitt Cancer Center and Research Institute at the University of South Florida; and Scott Wochos, senior vice president of Green Bay Packaging and longtime advocate and advisory board member for UW-Green Bay.
They began their appointments with the September board meeting on campus. Members of the Foundation board enjoy dual appointment as members of the UW-Green Bay Chancellor’s Council of Trustees, which has an advisory and advocacy mission.
Malafa is a nationally prominent surgeon and researcher in the fight against gastrointestinal cancer. He grew up in a small village in the African nation of Cameroon and moved to boarding school in Paris as a teen, where a mentor told him to investigate the excellence of the UW System and its Green Bay campus for studies in pre-med. Malafa is chair of the Department of Gastrointestinal Oncology at the Moffitt Cancer Center and Research Institute at the University of South Florida, located in Tampa. He specializes in surgical oncology, often with patients battling pancreatic cancer. He has been named to the “Best Doctors in America” list of specialists most often named by other doctors as the ones they’d choose to see.
Malafa earned his UW-Green Bay bachelor’s in Human Adaptability and went on to attend medical school at UW-Madison with surgical residency at the Medical College of Ohio, Toledo. He received fellowship training in surgical oncology at the City of Hope National Medical Center in Duarte, Calif., and the center’s Beckman Research Institute.
For Wochos, his participation on the board represents a continuation of service although in a slightly different capacity. As president since 2010 of the University’s Founders Association — a broad-based community organization offering friend- and fund-raising support to UW-Green Bay — he was the Founders’ ex officio representative to the Foundation board of directors. He now joins the Foundation board as an at-large member.
Wochos is senior vice president and general counsel for Green Bay Packaging. The locally based company is one of America’s largest privately held manufacturers of corrugated containers, containerboards, linerboards, folding cartons and coated label products. A native of San Luis Obispo, Calif., he relocated to Green Bay with his family at a young age, attended school here, and then pursued his undergraduate degree at Duke University and earned his doctor of jurisprudence from Harvard Law School. He practiced law in the Milwaukee area before returning to Green Bay.
The UW-Green Bay Foundation, Inc., was established as an independent 501(c)3 organization in April 2011 when the University filed articles of incorporation and the Chancellor’s Council of Trustees approved bylaws. The creation of the Foundation gives the University greater flexibility in managing gifts and assets and in being proactive in its private fundraising.
For more information regarding the UW-Green Bay Foundation, contact Assistant Chancellor for University Advancement Bev Carmichael, 920-465-5025.
Board of Directors of the UW-Green Bay Foundation, Inc.
Chancellor’s Council of Trustees
• Chair, Louis (Lou) LeCalsey, former President and CEO, Tufco Technologies, Green Bay
• Vice Chair, Virginia (Ginny) Riopelle, UW-Green Bay class of ’70, Civic Leader, Green Bay
• Secretary, Robert Bush, Chair Emeritus, Schreiber Foods, Green Bay
• Treasurer, Diane Ford, ’75, former Vice President and Controller, Integrys Energy Group, Green Bay
• Cliff Abbott*, Secretary of the Faculty and Academic Staff; Professor of Information and Computing Science, UW-Green Bay
• Paul Anderson, ’82, President, M2 Logistics, Inc., Green Bay
• Dean Basten, ’89, Secretary/Treasurer, Miron Construction, Neenah
• Richard (Rick) Beverstein, Vice President, AON Risk Services, Green Bay
• Beverly Carmichael*, Assistant Chancellor for University Advancement, UW-Green Bay
• Robert Cera* ’84, President of the UW-Green Bay Founders Association; CEO, Baylake Bank
• Gerald (Cort) Condon, Attorney, Condon & Herald, Green Bay
• Robert (Bob) DeVos, ’73, Senior Vice President-Business Development, GENCO Inc., Green Bay
• Craig Dickman, ’82, Founder and CEO, Breakthrough Fuel, Green Bay
• Susan Finco, President, Leonard & Finco Public Relations, Green Bay
• Philip B. Flynn, President and CEO, Associated Banc-Corp, Green Bay
• Beth Gochnauer, Chairperson, Gochnauer Family Foundation, Winnetka, Ill.
• Donald Harden, Retired President, Bellin Foundation, Green Bay
• Thomas K. Harden*, Chancellor, UW-Green Bay
• Donsia Strong Hill, Attorney, Tyson Strong Hill Connor, LLP, Green Bay
• Michael Jackson, ’76, Retired President and COO, SuperValu Stores, Inc., Celebration, Fla.
• Dr. Mokenge Malafa, ’82, Associate Professor, Moffitt Cancer Center, Tampa, Fla.
• Mark King, ’81, President and CEO, TaylorMade-adidas Golf, Carlsbad, Calif.
• Kate Meeuwsen, ’76, Civic Leader, New Franken
• Mark Murphy, President and CEO, Green Bay Packers, Green Bay
• Thomas Olson, Retired President, Sonoco-U.S. Paper Mills Inc., Green Bay
• David Pamperin, ’74, President and CEO, Greater Green Bay Community Foundation, Green Bay
• Kramer Rock, President, Temployment, Inc., Green Bay
• Donna Sheedy* ’94, President of the UW-Green Bay Alumni Association; Manager of Investor Relations for Integrys Energy Group, Inc.
• Mark Skogen, President and CEO, Skogen’s Festival Foods, Green Bay
• Sahil Tak, Vice President, ST Paper LLC, Oconto Falls
• James (Jim) Wochinske, ’74, President and Owner, Pomp’s Tire and Auto Service, Inc., Green Bay
• Scott Wochos, Past President of the UW-Green Bay Founders Association; Senior Vice President for Green Bay Packaging, Inc.
* indicates ex-officio members
Trustee Emeriti are Judith Crain, Green Bay; Jerome Gallagher, Sister Bay; Elizabeth Hendrickson, Green Bay