GREEN BAY—Twenty-nine UW-Green Bay students were awarded an “Innovative Thinking” credential for completing a four-week learning experience earlier this semester.
The digital badge was awarded by WiSys, a nonprofit organization that supports research, innovation and entrepreneurship at Wisconsin’s 11 regional public universities, including UW-Green Bay.
The learning experience, called WiSys Innovation On-Ramp, trained students on how to advance their ideas—regardless of their field or goal. It stressed mentorship, networking and building an innovation skill set.
“Congratulations to all the students who took it upon themselves to go above and beyond in their education and develop some very marketable skills,” said WiSys President Arjun Sanga. “WiSys was excited to partner with the faculty and staff at UW-Green Bay to provide students with this high impact practice and contribute to accelerating the growth of an innovative workforce in Wisconsin.”
The students who received the digital badge, which they can add to their resume and LinkedIn profile, include:
- Nadifo Abdi
- Sierra Chervenka
- Angelina Cisneros
- Dylan Cloud
- Danae Fameree
- Alexander Freeman
- Aries Goin
- Kelsey Heida
- Angelina Hindsley
- Lucas Isaacson
- Jessie Johnson
- Kim Johnson
- Evan Kowalski
- Erika Kundinger
- Savannah Makovsky
- Nicholas McCarty
- Sylvia NgoMben
- Reese Palmer
- Savannah Potthier
- Kristin Quinn
- Shelby Riess
- Megan Rosenau
- Megan Ryan
- Anna Schilling
- Morgen Schmid
- Tim Schultz-Leach
- Hannah Sheldon
- Max Stafford
- Evan Vogel
In order to receive this badge, the students completed coursework covering the following topics:
- Identifying a Problem
- Developing an Innovative Solution
- Defining Your Market
- Practicing Your Pitch
The recipients also attended at least one interactive session to discuss and engage with one of the course topics. At the end of the course, students were given the option to pitch their ideas for cash prizes. You can read more about that pitch event here.
Overall, 116 students participated in portions of the WiSys Innovation On-Ramp learning experience and pitch competition.
WiSys Innovation On-Ramp was made possible by a collaboration between WiSys and a multi-departmental planning committee of UW-Green Bay faculty and staff members. The planning committee included:
- Susan Craver, Lecturer of Management, Austin E. Cofrin School of Business.
- Nazim Choudhury, Assistant Professor, Computer Science.
- Susan Gallagher-Lepak, Dean, College of Health, Education and Social Welfare.
- Doreen Higgins, Emeritus Associate Professor, Social Work.
- Kim Krueger, WiSys Student Ambassador.
- Kathryn Marten, Student & Community Engagement Coordinator, Austin E. Cofrin School of Business.
- Evelyn Olsen, Event & Program Coordinator, WiSys.
- Stephanie Rhee, Assistant Professor, Social Work.
- Adhira Sunkara, Assistant Director, WiSys.
- Nischal Thapa, Assistant Professor, Business Administration.
- Dean D. VonDras, Professor, Human Development.
WiSys is a nonprofit organization that works with faculty, staff, students and alumni of the UW System to facilitate cutting-edge research programs, develop and commercialize discoveries and foster a spirit of innovative and entrepreneurial thinking across the state.
WiSys | Marketing & Communications Associate