Enrollment open for UW-Green Bay’s Middle School Summer Art Studio
Enrollment is open now for the University of Wisconsin-Green Bay Middle School Summer Art Studio scheduled June 14-18, on the University campus at 2420 Nicolet Dr. Students eligible to attend are those who will enter grades six through nine.
Students can choose from a variety of art mediums and will choose two of the following sessions as their camp focus:
• Ceramics: Introduction to Wheel Throwing for Raku Firing will teach students the basics of hand-building techniques for making functional and sculptural forms and will be introduced to throwing pots on a wheel. Professional potter and teacher Dean Hoegger will instruct the class.
• Introduction to Fine Art Digital Photography will introduce students to the workings of a digital camera and Photoshop. Students will work with Tammy Resulta to take photographs in the environment and in the studio and will learn the editing process and composition.
• Wildlife Illustration instructor Sara Tlachac will help students capture creatures of the wild with pencil, pastels and charcoal. Students will develop drawing skills through gesture drawing, shading and the use of grid method.
• Cartooning and Comic Book Illustration will feature instructor Tom Wallestad, who has a passion for cartooning. Students will learn basic cartooning drawing skills, the foundation of penciling, inking, coloring and transferring images.
• Professional artist Arda Ishkanian will help students transfer their emotions, moods, tensions and tranquility to the canvas in Introduction to Acrylic Painting. Students will learn a variety of acrylic painting techniques, including working with brush and/or spatula, glazing, impasto and collage. Simple exercises will help spark the imagination and deepen the understanding of texture, shape, form and interesting imagery.
• Fashion Design with Cory Linsmeyer will explore the fast-paced world of fashion designers, models and stylists. Students will be meeting deadlines, coming up with new fashion ideas and producing outfits that are original.
• From Junk to Jewelry will transform cast-off objects into wearable art with jewelry instructor Erica Becker. Students will be introduced to the basics of jewelry making.
• Digital Design and Illustration with Chad Peters, will have students experimenting with pen tools, paintbrushes and special effects using a variety of graphic design computer programs.
Early enrollment is encouraged to ensure course selection.
Middle School Summer Art Studio is a day camp only, with classes scheduled from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday – Thursday. Friday classes end at 3 p.m. so students can prepare for a public exhibition of their work that closes the camp. Students and their parents are responsible for their own daily transportation to Summer Studio. Commuters may bring their lunches, purchase meal cards, or purchase snacks from vending machines. The camp fee of $249 covers instruction and a camp T-shirt. Some classes requiring special materials also have a lab fee.
More information and registration is available online at www.uwgbsummercamps.com. For more information call: (920) 465-2267 or (800) 621-2313.