Countdown continues with more Phoenix Phactoids
The countdown to our 50th anniversary continues. New since our last edition of the Log:
• The amazing UW-Green Bay women’s basketball program had its two greatest seasons earlier this decade, with a trip to the Sweet 16 one year and an AP Top 10 finish the next. For a vintage photo and more.
• Did you know early UWGB had its own marching band? Yes, and the hometown Green Bay Packers supported the effort.
• UW-Green Bay on the West Side? An early frontrunner at the time of site selection in the mid-1960s was land near Highway 41 and West Mason Street.
• Childcare on campus: For a quarter century a facility existed on campus to provide daytime childcare for faculty, staff and students. (Patricia Schoenbeck, director of the center, shares recollections of those days.)
• Students at the new UW-Green Bay reacted with a peaceful march, candelight vigil and a series of meetings and teach-ins to the May 1970 shootings at Kent State.
• UW-Green Bay plays soccer (and not football) as its primary fall sport upon the recommendation of legendary NFL Coach Vince Lombardi, an adviser to Founding Chancellor Edward Weidner in the late 1960s.
• The Legend of the Face Pot, and how some creative Creative Communication faculty started a new legend for the groundbreaking of their new academic building in the 1970s, is recalled.