The latest word on health psychology? It’s written by Prof. Gurung
Two years, 40 chapters, 118 authors. The latest word on health psychology is now out (Revenson & Gurung, 2019) and it is quite an accomplishment, even by the standards of UW-Green Bay’s award-winning Prof., A. R. Gurung (Psychology and Human Development).
This rich resource provides a thorough overview of current knowledge and new directions in the study of the biological, psychological, social, and cultural factors that affect health, health behavior, and illness. Chapters review the latest theories and research with an emphasis on how research is translated into behavioral medicine interventions. Featuring contributions from top researchers and rising stars in the field, authors provide a theoretical foundation; evaluate the empirical evidence; and make suggestions for future research, clinical practice, and policy.
The handbook reflects the latest approaches to health psychology today, including:
- Emphasis throughout on the socio-cultural aspects of health, including socioeconomic status, gender, race/ethnicity, sexual orientation, and age/developmental stage
- A new section on emerging areas in health psychology, including behavioral genomics, military veterans’ health, and digital health
- Coverage of prevention, interventions, and treatment in the applications section
- An expansion of the biopsychosocial model across several levels of analysis, including cultural, macro-social, and cellular factors
- Sustained emphasis on translating research into practice and policy
The handbook considers the intersections of concepts (behavior change), populations (women’s and sexual minority health), cultural groups (African American, Asian American, and Latino), risk and protective factors (obesity, coping), and diseases (cancer, diabetes, HIV), making it essential reading for scholars of health psychology, public health, epidemiology, and nursing. Novices to the field appreciate the accessibly written chapters, while seasoned professionals appreciate the book’s deep, cutting-edge coverage.