‘Squawk the Vote’ draws name inspiration from Wisconsin college mascots | WTAQ News Talk | 97.5 FM · 1360 AM | Green Bay, WI
(WTAQ-WLUK) — This year’s class of peregrine falcon chicks will need names before they graduate from the nest.
A total of 15 chicks have or will hatch at Wisconsin Public Service and We Energies power plants this spring.
- You can watch the chicks hatch here
The “Squawk the Vote” contest gives the public the chance to vote online for their favorite names.
This year’s theme is drawing inspiration from higher education.
The Wisconsin college mascot names are:
- Bucky — in honor of Bucky Badger, University of Wisconsin – Madison
- Pounce — in honor of Pounce Panther, University of Wisconsin – Milwaukee
- Stormer — in honor of the Stormers, Milwaukee Area Technical College
- Clash — in honor of Clash the Titan, University of Wisconsin – Oshkosh
- Iggy — in honor of Iggy the Golden Eagle, Marquette University
- Willie — in honor of Willie Warhawk, University of Wisconsin – Whitewater
- Blu — in honor of Blu the Blugold, University of Wisconsin – Eau Claire
- Sly — in honor of Sly Fox, Fox Valley Technical College
- Stryker — in honor of Stryker the Eagle, University of Wisconsin – La Crosse
- Newton — in honor of Newton the Eagle, Northeast Wisconsin Technical College
- Stevie — in honor of Stevie Pointer, University of Wisconsin – Stevens Point
- Rudy — in honor of Rudy the Red Hawk, Gateway Technical College
- Maximus — in honor of Maximus the Gray Wolf, Moraine Park Technical College
- Ollie — in honor of Ollie the Owl, Waukesha County Technical College
- Freddy — in honor of Freddy the Falcon, Concordia University
- Phlash — in honor of Phlash the Phoenix, University of Wisconsin – Green Bay
- Ranger — in honor of Ranger Bear, University of Wisconsin – Parkside
- T.C. — in honor of T.C. Timberwolf, Northcentral Technical College
- Musko — in honor of Musko the Muskie, Lakeland University
- Grit — in honor of Grit the Cougar, Mid-State Technical College
- Pete — in honor of Pio Pete, Carroll University
- Lenny — in honor of Lenny the Snow Leopard, Lakeshore Technical College
- Ember — in honor of Ember the Firebird, Carthage College
- Sammy — in honor of Sammy Sabre, Marian University
- Buzz — in honor of Buzz Yellowjacket, University of Wisconsin – Superior
- Roscoe — in honor of Roscoe Raider, Milwaukee School of Engineering
- Norby — in honor of Norby the Green Knight, St. Norbert College
- Angel — in honor of the Blue Angels, Mount Mary University
- Viking — in honor of Blu the Viking, Lawrence University
You can vote as many times as you want between now and Tuesday, May 9.
The first two chicks hatched overnight at We Energies’ Oak Creek Power Plant. A total of 13 more chicks are expected to hatch in the coming weeks.
The utility companies created the peregrine falcon nesting program as a way to build a bright, sustainable future by helping endangered animals and restoring natural habitats.
Source: ‘Squawk the Vote’ Draws Name Inspiration from Wisconsin College Mascots | WTAQ News Talk | 97.5 FM · 1360 AM | Green Bay, WI