UW-Green Bay technology notice – Windows 10 operating system update
What is happening?
- Updating the operating system from Windows 10 20H2 to Windows 10 21H2
- You may have already noticed, but there is an available update to the Windows 10 operating system in the campus Software Center.
- This update will take about 30 minutes to 1 hour to download and install. Your computer will need to be restarted in order for the update to install, so please save all work before beginning the update.
When is this happening?
- The deadline to install this update will be December 30th, 2022. To not interfere with fall semester, the software will be available the entire semester with a deadline of December 30th, at 9pm.
- After the deadline, the update will automatically install.
How will this affect me?
- Once the update becomes available, it will appear in the Software Center as available for download. When you are ready to begin the update, please follow the attached instructions to complete the process.
- Please allow 30 minutes to 1 hour to complete the update. Your computer will restart automatically when the update is complete. You do not need to watch the update complete – you may simply start the update and come back to it when it is finished.
Why does this matter to me?
- Staying on the most current branch of Windows 10 ensures that we are up to date with security patches and in-line with vendor support.
What’s new about Windows 10 21H2?
- Full graphical support for Windows Subsystem for Linux
- Latest configuration service provider interfaces for IT professionals
- Ongoing service support and security patches, through 2025.
Please contact GBIT with any questions at email@example.com or 920-465-2309.