Public safety requests your participation in a statewide tornado drill, this Thursday, April 14. Please check your inbox for direction. At 1 p.m. a mock tornado watch will be issued, meaning conditions are favorable. At 1:45, a mock tornado warning (meaning a tornado has been spotted in the area) will be issued. At this point, you are asked to find and seek shelter.
Specific instruction for tornado warning (and mock warning)
If you are outside you should hear the tornado sirens emit a steady tone for three minutes. Public Safety will send out the warning using several of our warning systems: public address announcement, text message (GB Alert), and a pop up message on your computer alerting you of the mock Tornado Drill, and requesting that you seek immediate cover. In seeking cover you should…
- Evacuate immediately to an interior room or hallway, and on the lowest level if it is safe to do so.
- Stay away from windows, glass, and large open areas.
- Protect your head and face; get under a steady surface or structure if one is available.
- Once in a safe location, tune into local media or the National Weather Service via radio or computer if available. You should remain in a shelter area for five minutes
- Five minutes after the mock warning is sounded, a mock all clear will be given and the warning sirens, public address announcement and text message (GB Alert) will be activated ending the mock tornado drill. If you do not receive a mock all clear notice after five minutes, you should return to your normal work or activity.
Great reminder to sign up for ‘GB Alert’
GB Alert is a texting alert system used only in emergencies. But you must opt in to receive these texts. Just go to http://www.uwgb.edu/publicsafety/gbalert/ and follow a few simple instructions.
Call Public Safety if you do not hear the tornado drill announcement
The mock drills are a great time for UWGB public safety to update and make changes to emergency plans and policies. You can never be too prepared. If you are on campus and unable hear the mock tornado drill announcement or public safety would appreciate hearing from you. Call Officer Dave Jones at ext. 2993.