GREEN BAY — University of Wisconsin-Green Bay Theatre and Dance, in partnership with the Weidner Center for Performing Arts, will present a Stage Adaptation of the classic children’s book, Lilly’s Purple Plastic Purse. The best-selling book is written by critically, acclaimed children’s author and Madison, Wis., resident Kevin Henkes.
School-only performances will be presented in the Weidner Center earlier in the week followed by two public family matinees Saturday April 23, beginning at 12:30 p.m. and 3:00 p.m. Special ticket pricing is listed below. The cast will be available after the Saturday matinees to greet children and families and pose for photo opportunities. Parents can register their children for a prize-drawing after the Saturday matinees. Four special “Lilly’s prizes” will be given away.
The synopsis: Lilly (in mouse character) loves school and her teacher, Mr. Slinger. That is, until she gets a purple plastic purse, a pair of movie star sunglasses, and three shiny new quarters that she wants to share with the class. She gets angry, upset and acts rudely when Mr. Slinger won’t allow it, and acts in a regrettable way. Eventually she learns lessons in patience, sharing, cooperation and forgiveness.
Three guest artists are working on the production with the UWGB cast and crew: Professor and United Scenic Artist Curtis Trout from Illinois Wesleyan University is the scenic and property designer for this show; Chicago-area designer Andre´a Healy, MFA UC-San Diego, is the assistant scene designer and paint charge artist for the “delightfully colorful set” designed by Trout; UWGB Theatre and Dance alumna Wendy Huber is a special property artisan.
“UWGB Music and Theatre has partnered with the Weidner Center to present this special Family Playhouse Event,” said Jeff Entwistle, chair of the Theatre and Dance academic program. “We want brothers and sisters and moms and dads and all kinds of families to be able to enjoy the show together. We have created some very special and affordable family group pricing for our two April 23 matinees.”
Individual ticket prices are $12 for adults and $7 for children 12 and under. In addition, a family of three costs only $21, a family of four costs $25, and a family of five or more can attend for $30.
To Purchase Tickets:
- Visit the University Ticketing & Information Center (UWGB University Union, Second Level)
- Call for Tickets at 920-465-2400
- Order Tickets online at www.uwgb.edu/theatre
Click thumbnails to enter slideshow view or view the album on Flickr.
– Photos submitted by UW-Green Bay Theatre and Dance
- Lilly — Emily Ahrens
- Wilson — William Appel
- Chester — Evan Ash
- Garland — Guinevere Casper
- Mr. Slinger — Selena Deer
- Julius and Grammy — Katelyn Junak
- Father — Joey Prestley
- Mother — Emily Van Rossum
- Ensemble — Andrea Cornett
- Ensemble — Tara Jackson
- Ensemble — Daniel Taddy
- Ensemble — Brooke Tupa
- Ensemble — Tyler Wood
- Ensemble — Kiersten Zangl
UW-Green Bay Theatre & Dance Faculty and Staff
- Denise Carlson-Gardner —Dance/Choreography/Dance History
- David Cook — Assistant Technical Director/Scene Shop Supervisor
- Jeffrey Paul Entwistle — Chair/Scenic Design/Lighting Design
- Michael Ingraham — Technical Director/Lighting Design/Sound Design
- Timothy Josephs — Ballet
- Kaoime E. Malloy — Costume Design/Make Up
- John Mariano — Directing /Theatre History/Acting
- Elizabeth Galba — Costume Shop Supervisor
- Laura Riddle — Acting/Voice
- Courtney Sherman — Musical Theatre Voice/Musical Theatre History
- Eugenia V. Erdmann — Professor Emeritus
- Richard Sherrell — Professor Emeritus