In a reminder to faculty and staff by Assistant Vice Chancellor for Information Technology & Library Services Paula Ganyard (March 12, 2020), the IT Division has setup a new method of connecting to your PC/Windows workstation remotely. Using our new SafeConnect VPN connection you are able remote into your assigned PC/Windows workstation, and operate it as though you were sitting in your office. The instructions on how to complete the initial setup of your personal device, and how to make the connection to your University workstation (PC only) can be found at: “SafeConnect VPN Connection Instructions” https://uknowit.uwgb.edu/98787.
There are several things that you need to know about this option:
- It is only available for PC workstations. If you are assigned a Mac workstation by the university you will NOT be able to use this method. (We are working on options for Mac Users.)
- It will allow you to use the same applications that you use at your desk. (i.e. ImageNow, Adobe, or other specialty software you have install on your workstation.)
- It will allow those that access high or medium risk data to continue to work securely.
- It will all you to access file shares and department shares, as you would if you were at your desk.
- Do NOT print while using this connection. It will NOT print to your local printer, but rather to the printer on campus for which your workstation is connected.
- The speed of the connection will be completely dependent on your internet speed of your personal device.
- If you have used Remote Desktop (a.k.a Thinfinity) previously, you may still do that. However, we have a limit of 75 concurrent users on that system, so if you are having trouble connecting to it then we recommend this method SafeConnect VPN .
All support questions should be directed to the IT Help Desk at 920-465-2309 or email@example.com. Please be patient as the IT Help Desk is dealing with a higher call volume at this time. If your call is not answered immediately, please leave a message and your call will be returned as soon as possible.