Photos: UW-Green Bay Make a Difference Day
Many area non-profits and agencies cleared their immediate “to-do” lists when nearly 250 UW-Green Bay students, staff and faculty volunteered in the Greater Green Bay community and on campus Friday, Oct. 27, 2017.
“Wonka Science was colorful, candy-filled fun this morning! A special thanks to UWGB for volunteering at our science stations as a part of “Make a Difference Day!” posted a representative from the Children’s Museum of Green Bay.
Here are a few “by the numbers” for the day:
- 250 participants
- 486 hours of service
- 24 thank you cards for Einstein Project
- 100-plus holiday cards for Veterans
- 150 s’mores bagged
- 7,674 lbs of product sorted and stocked, equaling 6,395 meals worth of food. (Without UW-Green Bay’s assistance, Feeding America Eastern Wisconsin would have had to spend more than $621 of donated funds and worked 27 hours to complete the project).
- 1 kitten saved. While picking up litter on campus, UW-Green Bay students Zach Abegglen, Chue Lo and Bake Whitney discovered a lone, disoriented kitten. Zach, a commuter student, has since adopted the now fed, warm and happy feline.
Off-campus locations grateful for the help were:
- Paul’s Pantry – stocking
- Feeding America – sorting and bulk food processing
- Green Bay Botanical Garden – planting and clean up
- House of Hope – cleaning
- Freedom House
- Bay Area Humane Society
- Heritage Hill
- NEW Zoo – Zoo Boo
- Children’s Museum – Willy Wonka Science Experiment
Some volunteers stayed on campus. Projects included:
- The Einstein Project – Make Thank You Cards
- TRIO – Make Holiday Cards for Veterans
- Campus Clean Up – Litter
- Landscaping Residence Life
- Painting Corridors
Click to advance slideshow or view the album on Flickr.
– Photos by Jena Richter Landers, Kimberly Vlies, Amanda Rice, Amanda Jo Danihel and Dan Moore, Marketing and University Communications