Cartoon contest: What did the sandhill crane say to the turkey?

Cartoon caption contest: ‘What did the sandhill crane say to the turkey?’

One can only imagine what’s happening on UW-Green Bay’s campuses while so many of us are away. This cartoon, by staff writer and cartoonist Michael Shaw, suggests one possibility. The only question is—what did the sandhill crane say to the turkey?

That’s up to you tell us in our first-ever cartoon caption contest. Submit your caption idea to Michael Shaw at and three finalists will be chosen. Then you’ll be able to vote for your favorite caption. The winner will receive the original drawing with their winning caption. The two runner-ups, a print of the cartoon with their captions. Put on those creative-thinking caps! The contest ends April 10, and judging the three captions will occur the week of April 13-17.

A brief reprieve from our current situation is good for the heart and soul. Let your creativity and sense of humor take wing!


UW-Green Bay’s CSET donates supplies to local health care facilities

UW-Green Bay’s College of Science, Engineering and Technology donated spare supplies to local health care facilities in the wake of COVID-19 response. Among the items:

  • Three cases of small non-sterile nitrile gloves
  • Seven cases of medium non-sterile nitrile gloves
  • Six cases of large non-sterile nitrile gloves
  • Masks and a few other miscellaneous items from the Master of Athletic Training Program
Medical supplies donated by UW-Green Bay's CSET.
Medical supplies donated by UW-Green Bay’s CSET.
william gear, director, master of athletic training
William Gear, director, Master of Athletic Training

Image of the UW-Green Bay campus and the bay of Green Bay with a title "We Miss You Phoenix"

Video: We Miss You Phoenix Family!

We Miss You Phoenix Family! We are separated but not alone. We are tenacious. We are resilient. UW-Green Bay students, faculty and staff, alumni, fans and friends, no matter where you are right now, YOU are a Phoenix, and WE will get through this AS ONE. Stay Home. Be Safe. Rise to the Challenge.

<em>– Video by Sue Pischke, Marketing and University Communication</em> 

Wisconsin Needs (Young) Poll Workers

Wisconsin is looking for citizens to serve as poll workers for the April 7, 2020 election. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic many Wisconsin cities, towns and villages are looking for extra volunteers to assist with running the election.

If you are interested, find your clerk by searching using your address here: Just click on their email address to send them a message with “Poll Worker Applicant” in the subject line with a few words about your interest and your contact information!

To be a poll worker, a person must:

  • Be a qualified elector of the county in which the municipality is located (i.e., an adult citizen of the United States who has resided in the election district for 10 consecutive days and is not otherwise disqualified to vote)
  • Be at least 17 years-old
  • Be able to read and write fluently in the English language
  • NOT be a candidate for any office to be voted on at the polling place at that election.

Poll workers do everything from check-in voters, help people register to vote, check photo IDs and process absentee ballots. Your local clerk will provide you with training prior to election day for the job you will be doing. This is a great opportunity for high school and college students to get involved with the democratic process!

Brandon Langer interviewed by the media

Print Shop owned by UW-Green Bay alumnus and employee helping raise money to feed local children | Fox 11

The Green Bay Print Shop, owned by UW-Green Bay alumnus and IT employee Brandon Langer ’15 (Art, Design) is selling t-shirts featuring graphics of toilet paper on them. Photo above, Langer gets ready for an interview with Fox 11.

The proceeds benefit the Green Bay Area Public School District for its Free Meals for Children program. Shirts cost between $10 to $25, plus shipping. A printed sheet of toilet papers included with each purchase. More via Toilet paper t-shirts helping raise money to feed local children | Fox 11 had the story.

Green Bay Print Shop's TP t-shirts
Brandon Langer’s TP t-shirts
Every sale gets a sheet
Every sale gets a sheet


Wisconsin Department of Health Services and the CDC resources in Spanish and Hmong

The Wisconsin Department of Health Services (DHS) has some resources in Hmong and Spanish as well as English. Please share:

Center for Disease Control (CDC) COVID19 Resources Page, English

CDC – Domestic and International Travelers, English

Wisconsin Department of Health and Human Services, English

Wisconsin COVID-19 Website, English


Department of Health Services (DHS)-Mass Gathering Guidance

DHS – Protect Your Family


DHS – Why Social Distancing?


CDC – What to do if you are sick


Wisconsin Health Literacy Safer at Home FAQ: English, Spanish


How to Stop the Spread of the Virus – English

Informational YouTube Video – Hmong

UW-Green Bay is one UW System school that will give refunds for housing expenses | Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

UW System Schools are preparing to give refunds back to students for housing and dining expenses. UW-Green Bay’s early estimate of refunds is estimated at $2.1 million, according to Director of Residence Life Gail Sims-Aubert. More via ‘Pretty devastating’: UW Systems estimates campuses will refund $78 million in housing, dining expenses | Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.


UW-Green Bay Interim Building Access Policy

Effective at 7:45 a.m. on Friday, March 27, 2020 the University of Wisconsin-Green Bay will limit building access to all campuses locations consistent with the Interim Building Access Policy.  The Interim Policy is enacted to comply with Governor Evers #SaferatHome Emergency Order which directs all individuals in the State of Wisconsin to stay at home or at their place of residence, with few exceptions.

Starting on March 25, 2020 all doors to all campus buildings, with the exception of Residence Life building were locked.  The Interim Policy will continue the locking of all campuses buildings, with the exception of Residence Life, but permit limited access to employees or student researchers consistent with the Interim Policy. Access at the Green Bay Campus will be permitted as follows:

  1. Employees who perform a function essential for the care and maintenance of State property or the safety and security of campus personal and students;
  2. Monday through Friday, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Mary Ann Cofrin Hall  Main Entrance Doors for authorized individuals; individuals who have been named by their supervisor as needing to have limited access to a campus for an operational purpose (e.g. picking up mail, accessing equipment which is not available remotely);
  3. On rare occasions, individuals who require access beyond the “Access Hours” and upon the explicit approval by a Supervisor and notification to University Police;

All other access is prohibited at this time.

It is asked that you cooperate with this process to ensure that we can continue to control the number of people who are accessing campus and comply with the Governor’s Order.  Specifically;

  1. Prior to coming to campus, please confirm with your supervisor that you are an authorized individual.  ndividuals who are not on the authorized person list will not be allowed access, and asked to leave and return after the supervisor has authorized access;
  2. Please park in the Union parking slots. If not slots are available, please park in the Kress Event Center Lots. Do not park or stand your car in the circle in front of MAC Hall;
  3. Please make sure you bring your Employee/Student ID with you.  Upon confirmation of your access, you will be issued a tag to place your ID in.  You will be required to display this ID at all times while you are on campus.
  4. Please limit your time on campus. Certain task may require individuals to be present for an extend period of time, please do not use Access Hours to facilitate any work that could be performed remotely.  It is not the intent of the Access Hours to facilitate a more convenient or quite work space, but to facilitate work that cannot be performed remotely.  Presence in campus buildings beyond what is absolutely necessary to serve the educational mission of the institution is in violation of the Governor’s Order.

Employees at Marinette, Manitowoc and Sheboygan (other than those performing functions essential for the care and maintenance of State property or the safety and security of campus personal) and students should contact their CEO by email to discuss access to those locations.  

Please understand that these restrictions on access, while disruptive, is essential to adherence to the Governor’s Order and serves to mitigate the current COVID-19 Crisis.  Your cooperation with these restrictions is appreciated.

If you have further questions, please contact your supervisor or CEO of your campus.

UW-Green Bay Refund FAQs

Will I receive a refund for the following charges:

  • Tuition is not being refunded because courses are continuing to be offered, although via alternative methods. If earned by completing your courses, as in any semester, credits will be awarded, bringing students closer to the completion of their degrees. The UW System believes this is the best path forward, rather than ending all courses without any credits awarded, postponing the completion of degrees by all students. 
  • Segregated fees are not being refunded. Services such as the Counseling and Health Center, Student Life, UREC and the Pride Center are still providing services to students via alternative methods.  Please see their individual websites or social media for specifics.
  • Housing: The Office of Residence Life will be refunding students for the unused portion of their 2019-2020 housing contract. Refund amounts will be calculated from the end of spring break per UWS guidance. Refunds will be calculated based on this date if students complete the check-out process by 10:00PM on Friday, March 27, 2020. Refunds issued to students who depart after the deadline will be based on the actual date of departure. Refunds will only be issued to students who complete the check-out process in its entirety. Students who have questions should reach out to the Office of Residence Life at 920-465-2040. Please act promptly.
  • Parking fees will not be refunded for students or employees. While we understand that many individuals will not be using parking through the end of the semester, we are unable facilitate a refund because the parking fees will still be used towards the maintenance, repair, and resurfacing of roads and parking lots.  All of those items continue to be necessary regardless of whether individuals are using the lots.
  • Meal Plans: Residential students with meal plans who check-out and leave campus will automatically have their refunds calculated based on their check-out date. Non-residential students who want to cancel their meal plans can do so by requesting that by emailing Dining dollars will be refunded as part of the meal plan refund process.  Pass points will continue to roll forward to the Fall 2020 semester.  Please note we have already worked to transition our campus dining program to carry-out only. All meal plans have had their transfer and reuse restrictions removed.  Meal plan refunds and adjustments will be processed as soon as possible. For meal plan and dining questions please email
  • Special course fees? We are currently reviewing the campus process for this course by course.

I was a student employee.  Do I qualify for unemployment benefits?

Student employees are excluded from unemployment benefits by both federal and state law. The university recognizes student employees are a vital asset to keeping our university running.   UW System is looking for options to provide support to our student employees at this challenging time, but nothing as been determined at this time.  Future updates will be sent directly to student employees via their university email accounts.

I have work study through financial aid.  What will happen with those funds?

At this time, the Federal Work Study situation is still being evaluated. As new information becomes available, we will notify the individuals impacted by this.  Please watch your university email account.

My travel course is canceled, will I receive a refund? 

Yes payments made for travel courses that have been canceled will be refunded. If you have further questions or concerns, please contact the Office of International Education at

Will I be charged the $25 per credit distance education fee for my class since I am now taking the class on line? 

No additional fee will be charged due to all classes being temporarily offered online. If you have a new fee you do not understand, please contact the Bursar’s Office at

Will I be refunded the $25 per credit distance ed fee since everyone is taking online classes and not everyone has to pay?

No refunds of the distance ed fee will be processed for a student that had originally enrolled in the online courses.

Will changes to my financial aid still be processed and will I still receive a refund on my student account?

Yes refunds on student accounts will continue to be processed.  If you have signed up for electronic refunding, you will receive the refund as an ACH to your bank account.  Paper checks will be mailed to your home address contained in SIS and will not be available for pickup in the Bursar office.  Please review your SIS account to confirm the home address is accurate.

If I have an outstanding account balance, and I am unable to come to campus to make a payment, will I still be charged interest on my account balance?

The application of interest on student account balances for the Spring 2020 term has been temporarily suspended through the end of May.

How can I make payment on my student account if I can’t come to campus?

You are able to make payment on your student account online. Payment using an electronic check is free.  Credit or debit card payments are accepted online which does have a 2.75% surcharge.  Payments can also be mailed to the Bursar’s Office, 2420 Nicolet Drive, Green Bay, WI 54311.  Please include your student ID number with the payment.

How can I get my student account refund check if I am not supposed to be on campus?

The Bursar staff will be mailing all refunds checks to your home address that is in SIS. Please review your home address in SIS to confirm it is accurate.  Checks will not be available for pickup at the Bursar Office.  You can also sign up for Electronic refunding through your SIS account. 

How can I pay my parking citation?

There are two ways you can pay your parking citation. The first is to mail it in.  Payments can be mailed to the Bursar’s Office, 2420 Nicolet Drive, Green Bay, WI 54311.  You can also call the Bursar’s Office and make a payment by phone.  Their number is 920-465-2224.