The University of Wisconsin-Green Bay honored some of its top science and math scholars Friday, Feb. 7, presenting Natural and Applied Sciences scholarships worth nearly $16,000 to 15 students during an afternoon reception.
Surrounded by parents, faculty members and donors, students were recognized for top-notch grades, outstanding scholarship, innovative research and overall academic excellence. NAS presented the first-ever Brown County Waste Transformation Team Scholarship, a $1,350 award given to UW-Green Bay senior Evan VanLanen.
“Every one of our scholarship recipients is a complete student,” said UW-Green Bay Associate Prof. Steve Meyer, an NAS faculty member and chair of the Scholarship Committee. “They’re great representatives of UW-Green Bay and they’ll be great representatives of UW-Green Bay when they leave us.”
Donors Carol DeGroot, Mike and Gloria Morgan, Elizabeth Nair and Rod Truttman (representing the Moose Lodge Rod & Gun Club) attended the presentation, applauding as their scholarship recipients were recognized. Meyer read a biographical statement on each recipient, noting his or her impressive academic credentials and University and community involvement.
Award recipients are as follows:
• Scott Bartholomew, Green Bay, senior, Mathematics: Science and Mathematics Scholarship
• Corinne Grossmeier, Mukwonago, senior, Biology and Environmental Science: Alfred O. and Phyllis E. Holz Scholarship
• Hanne Guthrie, Chanhassen, Minn., senior, Environmental Science and Spanish and Engineering Preprofessional Program: Second Year Engineering Scholarship
• Kalia Hanke, Green Bay, junior, Engineering Preprofessional Program: Second Year Engineering Scholarship
• Lindsay Hansen, Kiel, junior, Biology: Bradford Cook Memorial Scholarship
• Marina Hauser, Grüt, Switzerland, Environmental Science and Engineering Preprofessional Program: James E. Casperson/Environmental Science Alumni Association Scholarship
• Christa Kananen, Sobieski, junior, Geoscience: Carol R. DeGroot Scholarship in Environmental Science
• Amber Konrad, Sturgeon Bay, senior, Environmental Science: Phyllis E. Holz Scholarship
• Tiffany Marshall, Conrath, sophomore, Engineering Preprofessional Program: First Year Engineering Scholarship
• Kari Matuszak, Seymour, senior, Biology: Ganga and Elizabeth Nair Scholarship
• Matthew Nichols, Wausau, senior, Individual Major (toward Environmental Engineering): First Year Engineering Scholarship
• Amanda Nothem, Campbellsport, senior, Chemistry: Nancy J. Sell Memorial Scholarship
• Lauren O’Dell, Janesville, senior, Chemistry: Nancy J. Sell Memorial Scholarship
• Linda Vang, Green Bay, senior, Biology: Morgan/Macaluso Family Scholarship
• Evan VanLanen, Suamico, senior, Environmental Science: Moose Lodge Rod and Gun Club Scholarship; Brown County Waste Transformation Team Scholarship.
More information about Natural and Applied Sciences is available at www.uwgb.edu/nas/.