Thursday, April 12, 2018 at 1:45 p.m., there will be a Statewide Tornado Drill that requires YOUR participation. Please heed instruction from UW-Green Bay Public Safety. Before the Tornado Drill:
- Discuss within your office, your classroom, or with your staff as to where you could go in the event of a Tornado Warning.
What will happen during the Tornado Drill: At 1 p.m. a mock tornado watch will be issued which means that conditions are favorable for a tornado to develop and you should monitor weather conditions via local media or national weather service. In the event of a Tornado Watch no siren or public address message will sound.
At 1:45 p.m. a mock tornado warning will be issued: This means a Tornado has been sighted in the area:
- If you are outside you should hear the tornado sirens emit a steady tone for three minutes.
- Public Safety will send out the warning using several of its warning systems: public address announcement, text message (GB Alert), and a pop up message on your computer alerting you of the mock Tornado Drill, and requesting that you seek immediate cover. In seeking cover you should:
-Evacuate to an interior room or hallway, and on the lowest level if it is safe to do so.
-Stay away from windows, glass, and large open areas.
-Protect your head and face; get under a steady surface or structure if one is available.
- Once in a safe location tune into local media or the National Weather Service via radio or computer if available.
- You should remain in a shelter area for five (5) minutes
- Five (5) minutes after the mock warning is sounded, a mock all clear will be given and the warning sirens, public address announcement and text message (GB Alert) will be activated ending the mock tornado drill.
- If you do not receive a mock all clear notice after five (5) minutes, you should return to your normal work or activity.
NOTE: Brown County Emergency management will be conducting an evening drill in various areas at 6:45 p.m. The campus will not be participating in the evening drill, however, you will hear the County Wide sirens at 6:45pm.
If you have not signed up for GB Alert, our emergency text messaging system, you can do so by going to: https://www.uwgb.edu/public-safety/emergency-information/gb-alert-emergency-notification-system/
If you do not hear the mock Tornado Drill Announcement or the announcement was not loud enough, please report to Pulbic Safety as to what the problem was and where you were at the time of the announcement. For additional information about what to do in the event of a Tornado/Severe Weather or other emergencies go to the University’s Emergency Plan.
Another great resource for Tornado preparation is Ready Wisconsin at: http://www.readywisconsin.wi.gov/tornado/